Creating Opportunities for Real Education
CORE is part of Furness College and offers fun and practical work-ready and skills-ready programmes to help 16-18 year olds to progress in their chosen careers. We offer weekly enrolments at our dedicated facilities separate from the two main college campuses. You will NOT be required to attend the main college campuses if you do not want to.
We know that the formal, taught environment isn’t for everyone so our groups are different to school and college, with personalised courses to help you learn the skills employers are looking for. You don’t need any previous qualifications, and our friendly tutors will work with you to identify your goals and help you work towards your future career.
Our free courses are assessed in a variety of ways, through portfolios, practical activities and exams and we work closely with local employers to provide meaningful work experience placements in a variety of industries.
As well as offering learning support, we can also provide personal development options and support on a range of issues, including housing, personal matters, keeping you safe, developing your confidence and making sure your voice is heard.
If you are nervous about continuing your education, our CORE provision is perfect for you.
Click here for more information about CORE.
- Projects – Preparing for Manual Work
- Health and Social Care
- Employability Skills
- Maths and English – Entry Level to GCSE
- Work experience programme
Support for Students
- Housing, finance and personal circumstances
- Independent living support
- Liaison with support agencies such as Cumbria County Council and Inspira
- Enhanced safeguarding support including weekly meetings with the College’s designated safeguarding lead
Destination and Progression Opportunities
- Guaranteed interviews/places on Further Education courses at one of the College’s main campuses after successful completion og the CORE course
We offer access to over 1000 employers through our unique work placement and apprenticeship opportunities.
Learners from CORE have:
- Attended taster days in construction workshops at the Channelside campus
- Accessed virtual learning facilities
- Arranged catering events
- Accessed health and social care facilities at our Sixth From campus
- Begun a project to work with the local authority, decorating play areas
- Had a number of visits from local employers and agencies
- Visited and been inducted into the College’s library and learning resource centre, and virtual learning environment
- Been involved in cross-college initiatives and training
Tel: 01229 836724
There’s a place for everyone at Furness College and yours is waiting for you.
Click here to apply now