What is University Education?
University education, usually known as higher education, is the next step after further education. University education qualifications include:
- Higher National Certificates (HNC)
- Higher National Diplomas (HND)
- Foundation Degrees
- Degrees (BSc, BA or BEng with Honours)
- Higher Apprenticeships
- Degree Apprenticeships
For more information on our university courses, visit the university education section on our website www.furness.ac.uk.
Furness College has been recognised for the high quality of teaching and learning with a silver award for higher education under the Teaching Excellence Framework. The college achieved the award for ‘consistently exceeding’ rigorous national quality requirements.
Why should I study at Furness College?
As the largest provider of education and training in South Cumbria studying with Furness College can offer you a wide range of benefits:
- Over thirty years’ experience of providing university education (over 500 Furness College students studied university level courses in 2016/17)
- Learn while you work, thereby reducing costs and loans
- University qualifications which are validated by the University of Central Lancashire (UCLan), the University of Cumbria, Lancaster University or Edexcel
- Accreditation by the Institute of Engineering Technology (IET) and Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE)
- University qualifications which are relevant to future employment opportunities
- Small group sizes which are friendly and supportive and help to improve confidence
- Courses which fit around the workplace and a busy home life
- Reduced transport costs
- A network of support including personal tutors and additional support
- High standards of tuition
- Excellent training resources which meet industrial/commercial standards
- Progression routes to honours degree courses or employment
- Superb facilities including several IT suites with subject specific software
- Resource Centre with quiet study areas, resources and computers
At Furness College we provide degrees in a range of professional/technical subjects which can be studied full or part-time. Many students either progress directly into employment or transfer to the third and final year of an honours degree course at university.
The subjects on offer are:
- Art & Design
- Business with Project Management
- Children, Young People and their Services
- Engineering – Mechanical and Electrical/Electronic
- Health and Social Care
- Teacher Training (Post-16)
Higher Education documents, such as fees and the access and participation plan, can be found here.