fbpx
temp

T Levels

What are T Levels?

T Levels are new two-year courses which follow GCSEs and are equivalent to three A Levels. They combine classroom theory, practical learning and a 315-hour (45 day) industry placement to give students real experience of the workplace. T Levels have been developed alongside employers and businesses to meet the needs of industry and prepare students for work. They provide the skills, knowledge and experience needed to open the door to highly skilled employment, higher level study or an apprenticeship.

When are they being introduced?

T Levels start nationally in September 2020 and Furness College will offer them from 2021.

What subjects can I study?

From 2021 Furness College will offer T Levels in digital, education and childcare, health and science.

For our full list of T Level courses starting 2021, click here.

To register an interest in T Levels at Furness College click here.

Who should study T Levels?

T Levels are ideal if you have completed your GCSEs and want to get into a skilled job. This qualification will help ensure you build the knowledge and experience to get the job you want. T Levels are being developed in collaboration with employers and businesses so it means the skills learned match the industry requirements.

What is different about T Levels?

T Levels offer students a mixture of classroom learning and ‘on-the-job’ experience during an industry placement of at least 315 hours (approximately 45 days). Skills learnt in the classroom can then be applied to the workplace. They provide the knowledge and experience needed to open the door into skilled employment, further study or a higher apprenticeship.

Our Assistant Principal for Curriculum Sue Hannan talks about the range of T Levels offered at Furness College from 2021 and how an industry placement can lead students straight into the workplace. One T Level is equivalent to 3 A Levels and this qualification is suited to those who are clear on their career path and want to bring new ideas to employers as part of their qualification.

Tell me more about the industry placement.

Furness College is working with a number of employers who will provide placements that are built into the timetable, typically this will be one day a week of 7 hours or more.

Can I go to university after a T Level?

T Levels will prepare you to progress into a skilled job, but because they are equivalent in UCAS points to A Levels, you can also choose to go on to university to study a degree.

Are T Levels recognised by employers?

T Levels have been developed alongside employers and businesses so the content of the qualification matches core skills required to be successful in that industry.

Why would I choose an unpaid T Level over a paid apprenticeship?

T Levels and apprenticeships are different. A T Level will give you the opportunity to continue your studies and get a much broader idea of what it’s like to work in a certain sector, with the opportunity to specialise later. Apprenticeships are paid, work-based training for those who know what occupation they wish to pursue. With a T Level, 80 per cent of your time will be spent in the classroom with the remaining 20 per cent being spent on placement. An apprenticeship is the other way round and is more suited to those who want to earn and learn from the age of 16.

Why are they important for this area?

The introduction of T Levels is an important step towards futureproofing the Cumbrian economy by helping create the higher-level technical skills needed to grow industry. It brings technical qualifications into parity with A Levels, which are offered at our sixth form campus, with T Levels being much more focused on industrial placements and technical understanding. We are aware of the need skills in digital, health and child care, and education and science. Four out of five emerging jobs need high-level digital technical skills. Furness College has been successful in its bid to offer T Levels because we are renowned for the quality of our technical engineering qualifications at our £47million world-class campus.

Will more T Levels be available in my area after 2021?

Yes, Furness College is planning further T Levels. It was selected by the government as a provider at the forefront of high-quality technical skills training in the second round of delivery with a view to expanding its T Level offer in future years. Find out more at www.tlevels.gov.uk

Use this handy tool to find out more about potential careers after T Levels


Channelside
Barrow-In-Furness
Cumbria
LA14 2PJ
Rating Lane
Barrow-In-Furness
Cumbria
LA13 9LE
Contact Us Tel: 01229 825 017 (Channelside Campus)
Tel: 01229 828 377 (Barrow Sixth Form College)
Email: info@furness.ac.uk
Business Support Tel: 01229 844 836
Email: businesssupport@furness.ac.uk
SAY YES! TO SUCCESS
Ofsted