The course is designed to develop learner’s knowledge and skills of different sports-related topics, disciplines and vocations. Involvement in this programme will ready learners for successful progression to university studies or careers in sport /fitness.
How long is the course?
The BTEC Extended Diploma in Sport is two years in duration and when achieved is equivalent UCAS points to studying 3 A Levels. In the first year of study, you will work towards the BTEC Level 3 90-Credit Diploma. Following successful completion of this qualification, you will be able to progress to the BTEC Extended Diploma.
How will I learn?
The course will involve a strong practical element with supporting classroom based sessions to raise awareness of the theoretical underpinning. Through a wide variety of individual and group tasks you will develop a range of key employability skills and personal attributes. There will also be regular opportunities to gain work based experience working with different sports coaches, organisations and a wide range of participants. There will be a large emphasis on developing your practical coaching skills through volunteering and sports leadership opportunities.
What subjects will I study?
• Principles of Anatomy and Physiology in Sport
• Sports Coaching
• Fitness Training and Programming
• Physiology of Fitness
• Assessing Risk in Sport
• Fitness Testing for Sport and Exercise
• Sports Development
• Practical Team Sports
• Psychology for Sports Performance
• Exercise, Health and Lifestyle
• Sports Nutrition
• Sports Massage
• Sports Injuries
• Organising Sports Events
• Practical Individual Sports
• Instructing Physical Activity and Exercise
• Work Experience in Sport
• Analysis of Sports Performance
• Rules, Regulations and Officiating in Sport
How will I be assessed?
• Practical Fitness and Sports Participation
• Practical, fitness and sports participation
• Professional discussions and presentations
• Posters, leaflets and displays
• Learner and peer reports
• Volunteering/participation in sports leadership and coaching
Are there any additional costs?
Due to the practical nature of the course and particularly the use of practical assessments students are required to purchase a uniform for mandatory elements from the college shop. This consists of a T-shirt, Hoody, Track Pants and socks in addition to suitable trainers.
A requirement for the programme is to undertake a relevant work experience placement in the sport, leisure or fitness industry. Due to the nature of these work experience placements some organisations require a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check before the placement commences. A DBS check will cost in the region of £44.
What are the entry requirements?
Five GCSEs at grade 4 or above (including maths and English) or other equivalent qualifications and an interest in a career in sport.
Can I get more information?
For more information please contact us:
E: Sports Tutors
T: 01229 844773
What opportunities will this lead to?
These programmes can lead to progression to further studies at University and into a wide range of careers in the sport, leisure and fitness industry. Careers that successful students have progressed into are:
• Sport Coaching
• Sports Science
• Physiotherapy / Sports Therapy
• PE Teaching / FE Sports Tutor
• Fitness Instructor/Personal Trainer or Strength and Conditioning Coach
• Sports Journalism
• Sports Development
• Performance Analyst
• School Sport Co-ordinator
• Sports Marketing, Business and Events Management
• Leisure Centre / Fitness Centre Management
• Lifeguard / Leisure Centre Attendants
Use this handy tool to find out more about potential careers after Full-Time Courses.