A LEVEL ACCOUNTING – LET’S GET STARTED
When you start A Level Accounting you will study the AQA A Level Accounting specification which can be found here:
Click on the link above and download the Accounting specification – having a look at some of the topic areas you are going to study;
A Level Accounting helps you develop knowledge and understanding of the purposes of accounting. You can then apply this to a variety of accounting problems. This four-unit course helps students develop a range of important and transferable skills.
What will I study?
- Data skills
- Presenting arguments
- Making judgements and justified recommendations
- Recognising the nature of problems
- Solving problems
- Making decisions
- Planning work – taking into account the demands of the task and the time available to complete it
In preparation for the course you may want to do the following three 4 question challenges:
- Do some research on the Stakeholders of a business – what are the key stakeholder groups?
- Why do each of these stakeholder groups have an interest in the business?
- What conflicts might these stakeholder groups have with each other?
- Why might each of the stakeholder groups have an interest in the accounting information of a business?
You should think about the way you present your answers – scatter diagrams or spider diagrams might be best?
CORPORATE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY (CSR)
- What is Corporate Social Responsibility or CSR?
- What is PESTEL Analysis?
- Why might CSR be at odds with accounting as a profession?
- What is ethical behaviour as an accountant?
You may want to have idea bubbles for these answers
Then look for the Top 6 CSR videos by top Corporates on the Internet
DIFFERENT TYPES OF BUSINESSES
- Do some research into different types of business organisations such as Sole Traders, Partnerships, Limited companies (both private and public)
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of each of this business organisation types?
- What is unlimited liability?
- What is the separation of Ownership and Control
You might want to design a table for this information which keeps it all nice and neat and together………..
Research two years financial accounting data for a big business such as a supermarket, retail chain, football club, make up brand or sportswear company – finding out what you can about the business – what it does, how much profit it has made over the last two years, its key stories of the last two years etc.
Try to compare its performance over the two years – has the financial performance got better or worse over the past two years, why?, what might have caused this?
You could stretch this further by then looking at a competitor business e.g. another supermarket or another football club and looking at their performance over the past two years – answering the same questions as above………
Now you could compare the two businesses over the same two years……….who has made the most profits, what has happened to the two businesses over the past two years, what have been the highs and the lows over the past two years?
This might be better as a research report with different sections – add a new page for the different sections…………
GLOSSARY OF TERMINOLOGY TASK
Go through the AQA A Level Accounting specification link listed at the top of the first page and make a note of all the terms out of it that you are unsure of – look up a definition of all these terms and make yourself a Glossary of Terms for the course.