16-18 Year Olds

If you’re thinking of continuing your education at Furness College, then getting your hands on some much-needed cash is going to be high on your list of priorities.

If you think you may not be able to afford to study, there are a number of ways you may be able to get help.

General advice is given below but the rules can change from year to year, so we recommend you follow the links provided below to access the most up-to-date information. Staff in Student Services are also able to discuss your individual circumstances and provide you with an application form.

Course Fees - Do I have to pay course fees?

If you are aged 16 - 18 then you do not have to pay course fees for full-time courses.

In cases of financial hardship the College may be able to offer assistance in the form of bursaries - please see below:

Student Bursary 16 - 18 year olds

The Student Bursary is available through the college to help support students who are in the most vulnerable groups to further their education, this could include young people in care, care leavers, young people living independently in receipt of income support, young people with severe disabilities, teenage parents and students from low-income households.

To qualify for the Bursary your household income needs to be below £23,000 (as of September 2018/this does not include DLA, Child Benefit, Pensions, Carers Allowance).

To check if you are eligible for this bursary please ask at student services for an application form. We would appreciate it if you could complete the form as soon as possible, however decisions on who will receive the bursary may not be made until September at the start of the college term or later depending on when your application was received. You can apply for a Student Bursary if:

  • Your household income is at, or below, £23,000 (18/19)
  • You are aged 16 years old and have left school, but are not 19 before the 1st of September at the start of your course
  • You are in care/a care leaver/living independently, in receipt of Income Support, have a disability, you are a teenage parent or are from a low income household
  • You are on a full-time further education course, such as NVQ, BTEC Diploma or AS/A2, at an FE College, school Sixth Form or Sixth Form College.

What will it pay for?

  • Meals
  • Travel costs
  • Books
  • Essential course-related equipment
  • Financial hardship emergencies
  • Trips/University visits
  • Weekly attendance payment – paid for 100% attendance

This is a weekly payment for students who are aged 16-18 who plan to continue in further education from September. Payments are made directly into your bank account. If you are eligible your payments will be back dated to the week your course started, provided you have full attendance. Further information can be found on the designated website here.

Care to Learn (C2L)

If you are a young parent and want to return to, or continue with your learning, then C2L can cover the cost of your childcare and transport costs.

You can apply for C2L if you can answer yes to the following questions:

  • You will be under 20 years of age on the day your course starts
  • You are caring for your own child or children
  • You meet residency conditions
  • You are undertaking learning that receives some public funding
  • Your childcare provider is registered with Ofsted to ensure they meet certain safety and quality standards

Further information can be found on the designated website here or contact the Learner Support Helpline on 0800 121 8989

Bus Passes For 16 – 18 year olds

Unfortunately, there is no more county council help with travel expenses and any bus deals will be with the bus company themselves. The college may be able to help with the cost of travel if a student lives more than 2 miles from college (as of 18/19 term) and is eligible for the Bursary Fund.

Council Tax

Do I have to pay Council Tax?

If you are described as a ‘full-time student’ for the purposes of Council Tax, you can claim an exemption and should apply to your local authority. The College will send details of your student status to the local authority.


If you are receiving benefits, you may be able to continue claiming while you study but you should check, prior to starting your learning with:


You will be paid £3.70 per hour minimum, however some companies do pay more.

Anything Else?

If you have any other questions, we will be pleased to help in Student Services. If we do not know the answer, we will help you find someone who does.

Please contact Student Services to find out more:
Please use the map to find directions how to reach us.

Search our course index below