University of the Arts London (UAL).
How long is the course?
1 or 2 years (full-time)
How will I learn?
The Level 3 Diploma and Extended Diploma in Creative Media Production & Technology are designed to provide students with the knowledge, skills and understanding necessary to access and progress to degree level study or employment in the media sector. They provide an opportunity for those who have an interest in media to explore, develop and test their creativity within a qualification structure that is stimulating and demanding and provides a supportive transition from general to more specialised study.
Study for these qualifications will normally be over a period of one year for the Diploma and two years for the Extended Diploma.
The structure of the qualifications, with units linked to provide coherence, allows students to synthesise newly acquired practical skills with theoretical knowledge and understanding as they explore their aptitude and ambition and the particular characteristics of a broad range of creative media disciplines.
Students will be encouraged to recognise not only the unique characteristics of different disciplines, but also the dynamic and potentially innovative relationships between those disciplines.
The Level 3 Diploma and Extended Diploma in Creative Media Production & Technology are characterised by experiential, experimental and integrated learning; relying on the application and transfer of recognised skills, whilst valuing the accidental and novel results that can occur in both individual and collaborative practice. The qualifications acknowledge common principles and distinctive characteristics within the wider media sector.
What subjects will I study?
Eight units which are all assignment-based and internally assessed:
• Introduction to media processes and technical skills
• Introduction to design and research skills in creative media production
• Introduction to professional practice in creative media production
• Critical and contextual awareness
• Investigating audio production and technology
• Investigating visual production and technology
• Investigating interactive production and technology
• Developing a creative media production project
Five units which are all assignment-based and internally assessed:
• Characteristics and contexts in creative media production
• Engaging with an audience in creative media production
• Preparing for progression in creative media production
• Specialist study in creative media production
• Extended project in creative media production
How will I be assessed?
The qualification will be internally assessed through assignments which is marked by your lecturers and externally moderated by the awarding body UAL.
Are there any additional costs?
Stationery such as folders, pens etc. You will also be expected to provide your own pair of good quality headphones, and an external hard drive for storage, backup and transfer of digital files.