These qualifications aim to:
• Give learners the introductory skills and knowledge to start a career in sport of progress with employment in the sector
• Prepare learners for higher or further education, through full-time or part-time study.
• The objectives of these qualifications are to help learners to:
• Choose a pathway and units that reflect their career or academic aspirations
• Enter employment in the sport and active leisure sector or to progress to higher or further education or onto Level 3 Sport qualifications
• Gain and develop essential skills that are valued by employers and higher and further education institutions
• Develop knowledge and understanding of the vocational sector.
How long is the course?
The NCFE Level 2 Diploma in Sport is one academic year in duration and is equivalent to four GCSE passes at grade 4.
How will I learn?
The course will involve a strong practical element with supporting classroom based sessions to raise awareness of the theoretical underpinning. Through a wide variety of individual and group tasks you will develop a range of key employability skills and personal attributes for a career working in sport. There will also be regular opportunities to gain experience working with different participants in terms of age and ability in a range of sports. There will be visits and guest speakers to enhance the learning experience.
What subjects will I study?
• Participating in sport
• Anatomy and physiology for exercise
• Introduction to healthy exercise and nutrition
• Sports coaching
• Physical fitness and injuries in sport
• Sports volunteering
• Development of personal fitness through training
How will I be assessed?
Each candidate is required to create a portfolio of evidence which demonstrates achievement of 100% of the learning outcomes and assessment criteria associated with each unit.
The main pieces of evidence to build the portfolio could include:
• Practical Fitness and Sports Participation
• Professional discussions/presentations
• Oral and written questioning
• Learner and peer reports
• Volunteering and sports leadership
Are there any additional costs?
Due to the practical nature of the course and particularly the use of practical assessments students are required to purchase a uniform for mandatory elements from the college shop. This consists of a T-shirt, Hoody, Track Pants and socks in addition to suitable trainers.
What are the entry requirements?
Learners require at least four GCSEs at grades 2-3 or equivalent e.g. a Level 1 qualification.
Can I get more information?
For more information please contact us:
E: Sports Tutors
T: 01229 844773
What opportunities will this lead to?
Successful achievement of this qualification can enable learners to seek employment in the sport, fitness and leisure industry.
• Leisure Attendant
• Community Sports Leader
• Sports Coach
• Outdoor Education/Activity Leader
• Fitness Instructor
• Sports events and marketing
It can also enable the learner to progress and study the following:
• BTEC (Level 3) Extended Diploma in Sport.
• NCFE Level 2 Certificate in Fitness Instructing
• Intermediate Apprenticeship in Exercise and Fitness
Use this handy tool to find out more about potential careers after Full-Time Courses.