What qualification will I achieve?
Successful apprentices on completion, will achieve the Software Development Technician Level 3.
Functional skills in Maths and English would be achieved if the apprentices does not already hold the required qualification at the time of starting the apprenticeship standard.
How long is the course?
This apprenticeship will typically take 18 months.
How will I learn?
The apprenticeship will largely take place at the site of the employer, using day to day working activities to underpin knowledge that is learnt. A portion of the apprenticeship will take place at Furness College through classroom/workshop based learning. This is likely to be as part of a day release from the employer although each sector has differing delivery structure and this will be discussed with the employer and apprentice.
What subjects will I study?
The apprenticeship will cover a wide range of knowledge, skills and behaviours all of which will assist the student in their day to day work duties. These will include:
Knowledge- Understands the business context and market environment for software development. Understands the structure of software applications and all stages of the software development cycle. Understands the role of configuration management and version control systems. Understands their role within their software development team, and the importance of building security to software at the development stage.
Skills- Development Support, Logic, Analysis, Problem Solving, Communication, Quality and Data skills.
Behaviours- Logical and creative thinking skills. Problem solving skills, Ability to work independently and to take responsibility. Can use own initiative, a thorough and organised approach. Ability to work with a range of internal and external people. Ability to communicate effectively in a variety of situations. Maintains productive, professional and secure working environment.
What is off-the-job training?
Off-the-job training is learning which is undertaken outside of the normal day-to-day working environment and leads towards the achievement of the apprenticeship. The 20% off-the-job training requirement is measured over the course of an apprenticeship, not per academic year. This is an essential part of the apprenticeship and therefore must take place during employed time and the apprentice must be paid for the off-the-job training.
How will I be assessed?
On Programme Assessment - Technical knowledge and understanding is assessed on programme through Ofqual-regulated Knowledge Modules. These must be passed before the end point assessment can take place. Maths & English qualifications will also need to be completed before the end point assessment.
At the end of the apprenticeship students will be expected to take part in an end point assessment, this will assess how an apprentice can apply their skills, knowledge and behaviours acquired in their apprenticeship. For this apprenticeship it is based on:
• A portfolio – presented towards the end of the apprenticeship, containing evidence from real work projects which have been completed during the apprenticeship, usually towards the end, and which, taken together, cover the totality of the standard, and which is assessed as part of the end point assessment
• A project - giving the apprentice the opportunity to undertake a business-related project over a one-week period away from the day to day workplace
• An employer reference
• A structured interview with an assessor - exploring what has been presented in the portfolio and the project as well as looking at how it has been produced
here for full details and assessment plan.
What opportunities will this lead to?
Progression comes in a variety of ways after achieving the apprenticeship, which are:
- Progression onto HE Learning
- Progression onto Higher Apprenticeship levels
- The potential for advancement in their job role
- This apprenticeship is recognised for entry onto the Register of IT Technicians upon confirming an appropriate SFIA Level 3
- Professional competence and those completing the apprenticeship would then be eligible to apply for registration.