The apprenticeship will cover a wide range of knowledge, skills and behaviours all of which will assist the student in their day to day work duties. These will include:
Skills – Problem solving, Can create simple data models and software designs, can apply the maths required to be a software developer. Can respond to the business environment and business issues.
Knowledge – Understands and operates at all stages of the software development lifecycle. Understands and applies the maths required to be a software developer
Behaviours – Logical and creative thinking skills, analytical and problem solving skills, ability to work independently and to take responsibility. Maintain productive, professional and secure working environment.
What qualification will I achieve?
- Successful apprentices on completion, will achieve the Software Developer Level 4 Standard.
Functional skills in Maths and English would be achieved if the apprentices does not already hold the required qualification at the time of starting the apprenticeship standard.
How long is the course?
- This apprenticeship will typically take 24 months.
How will I learn?
- The apprenticeship will largely take place at the site of the employer, using day to day working activities to underpin knowledge that is learnt. A portion of the apprenticeship will take place at Furness College through classroom/workshop based learning. This is likely to be as part of a day release from the employer although each sector has differing delivery structure and this will be discussed with the employer and apprentice.
What subjects will I study?
This particular apprenticeship standard doesn’t require an apprentice to achieve any formal qualification to achieve this particular apprenticeship and solely relies on the apprentice’s digital portfolio.
How will I be assessed?
At the end of the apprenticeship students will be expected to take part in an end point assessment, this will assess how an apprentice can apply their skills, knowledge and behaviours acquired in their apprenticeship. Throughout the apprenticeship, students will build up a portfolio of work for discussion, which will compromise of evidence produced in the work place to show the apprentice has met the knowledge, skills and behaviours detailed in the standard.
*Before taking the EPA, the apprentice will need to have met the below requirements –
satisfactorily completed training covering the skills, knowledge and behaviours as described in the standard
*Achieved the Mandatory qualifications set out in the standard
*Achieved the required English & Maths qualifications specified in the standard
*Sufficient evidence in the form of a portfolio of evidence to allow the apprentice to consistently demonstrate knowledge, skills and behaviours as described in the standard.
The four assessments carried out for this standard at the end of the apprenticeship are –
- A portfolio
- A project
- An employer reference
- A structured interview with an assessor
What are the entry requirements?
- Individual employers will set the selection criteria, but this is likely to include A levels; a level 3 apprenticeship or other relevant qualification; relevant experience and/or an aptitude test with a focus on Functional Maths.
- Apprentices without English or Maths at Level 2 must achieve this prior to taking the end point assessment.
Can I get more information?
For more information please contact us:
Telephone: 01229 825017
Typical job roles
This apprenticeship is aimed at people currently in the below role or seeking employment in the below roles:
- Web Developer
- Application Developer
- Mobile App Developer
- Games Developer
- Software Developer
What opportunities will this lead to?
Progression comes in a variety of ways after achieving the apprenticeship, which are:
•Progression onto HE Learning
• Progression onto Higher Apprenticeship levels
• The potential for advancement in their job role
• This apprenticeship is recognised for entry onto the register of IT Technicians confirming SFIA level 3 professional competence and those completing the apprenticeship are eligible to apply for registration.