Finance for University Education
You can afford to study Higher Education
Important information - Furness College Bursary
The Furness College Bursary is to enable students from disadvantaged backgrounds to study at University level. The College will have a number of bursaries’ to award in 2016-17 and these entitle you to receive £2000 (£1000 in fee support and £1000 cash) for full-time students or up to £1500 in fee support and cash for part-time students.
Find out more about the Furness College Bursary.
To apply print off the application form.
Why choose Furness College?
By studying at Furness College, you have the prospect of gaining a degree validated by one of the UK’s top universities, all without the added financial costs of living away from home.
As the largest provider of education and skills training in Cumbria studying with Furness College can offer you a wide range of benefits:
- Over thirty years’ experience of providing university education (over 500 Furness College students studied university level courses in 2014/15
- Learn-while-you-work, thereby reducing costs and loans
- University qualifications which are validated by the University of Central Lancashire (UCLan), the University of Cumbria, Lancaster University or Edexcel
- Accreditation by the Institute of Engineering Technology (IET) and Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE)
- University qualifications which are relevant to future employment opportunities
- Small group sizes which are friendly and supportive and help to improve confidence
- Courses which fit around the workplace and a busy home life
- Reduced transport costs
- A network of support including personal tutors and additional support
- High standards of tuition
- Excellent training resources which meet industrial/commercial standards
- Progression routes to honours degree courses or employment
- Superb facilities including several IT suites with subject specific software
- University Resource Centre with quiet study areas, resources and computers
For 2016-17 students:
Furness College will ONLY be charging £5750 per year for full-time courses
Part-time fees are £958 per 20 credit module
- Foundation Degrees (part-time) will be £3832, assuming 4 modules of 20 credits studied
- HNC Engineering (part-time) will be £2874 plus £170 BTEC registration fee
- BEng (Hons) programme will be £2874, assuming 4 modules of 15 credits studied (£718 per 15 credit module)
- All fees are set and are payable on a yearly basis and are subject to increase in line with inflation.
The current economic climate is tough. But with a HE qualification you are increasing your chances of employment and career growth for years to come.
A higher education qualification is an investment in your future
How do I pay for the course?
- Tuition fee loans, that cover the full amount of tuition fee costs, are available to eligible full-time and part-time students. The tuition fee loan is not income assessed.
- YOU WILL NOT START TO MAKE REPAYMENTS UNTIL YOU EARN OVER £21,000 A YEAR. You repay 9% of your income above £21,000 – the amount you repay depends on the amount you earn after you have completed your course. Any outstanding balance is written off after 30 years.
What other financial support is available?
The maintenance loan is available to full-time students only. You may have to give details of your household income. EU students can’t apply for Maintenance Loans. The loan is paid directly into your bank account at the start of term. You have to pay the loan back.
Full-time student Loan available for the 2016/2017 academic year
Living at home Up to £6,904
Living away from home, outside London Up to £8,200
Living away from home, in London Up to £10,702
Other financial help includes:
- Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs)
- Childcare Grant
- Parents' Learning Allowance
- Adult Dependants' Grant
Student Finance Calculator
Get a quick estimate of what student loans, grants, bursaries and other funding you could get.
How do I apply for student finance?
Full-time and Part-time students can apply straight away on the government website.
Other payment options
- Our finance team can help assist you set up a payment plan to cover your course fees.
- If an employer is to pay your course fees, we will need written confirmation on letter headed paper.
For further information on either of these options, please contact Student Services on 01229 825017.