Inclusion Department at Furness College - Helping You To Achieve
As well as the information below, there is more detailed information on the support we offer in the 'Local Offer' section of our website.
Just some of the great feedback from our students:
"Happy. Good support - as I did not get any at school."
"Thank you for all the extra help you have given me to get through my A&P exams. I couldn't have done it without you! Will miss my extra lesson with you."
"Cheers for your help and support it was a great help and better than expected."
You can receive extra tuition in English, Maths and Study Skills to help you succeed on your course. This may be delivered on a one-to-one basis, in small groups or as in-class support. At Induction you will be given a full assessment to identify in which areas you may need learning support.
We can offer help with:
- Planning and writing assignments
- Taking notes
- Literacy skills e.g. reading, punctuation, grammar and spelling
- Numeracy skills e.g. percentages, fractions, and decimals
- Exam techniques
- Improving your grades.
- General learning difficulties
Support for Students with Additional Needs
If you have any additional needs then there are a number of ways in which we may be able to help you.
The following are examples of what support is available:
- Class/workshop support for literacy and numeracy
- Assessment and guidance on suitability of course
- Technical assistance
- Student access to Braille printing
- Supernova (screen reader and magnification software)
- Loan of equipment such as digital voice recorders, laptops etc, where required
- Hearing loops/Soundfield System
- Alternative input devices such as keyboards, trackball mouse etc
- Braille text
- Enlarged text
- Specialist tuition and equipment for students who have dyslexia
- Free full assessment for dyslexia ( subject to interview) by specialist staff
- Training on assistive technology software to aid learning, such as TextHelp Gold and Inspiration 8
- Help with applications for Disabled Students’ Allowance and full assessments for dyslexic students.
- Learning Support Technician who can adapt existing documents and diagrams into a variety of formats
- including Braille and Moon.
- Access to specialist teaching staff and learning support assistants
- Exam Considerations (subject to assessment)
Higher Education students may apply for the Disabled Student Allowance (DSA) which ensures you can continue to access additional learning support and have access to appropriate assistive technology. Please contact Helen Sharples to discuss your application for DSA.
We can also provide a free full dyslexia assessment for all Furness College students (subject to interview).
We can also provide specialist advice to employers regarding supporting their employees with dyslexia.
For further information and to arrange a confidential interview about your learning support needs, please contact:
- The Inclusion Manager, Helen Sharples (via Student Services or telephone direct on 01229 844737)
- Student Services and ask for the Inclusion Department.
- Talk to your Course Tutor or Personal tutor
- Or e-mail : email@example.com